- 1100 Words You Need to Know
- Vocab Class:
- Coursebook: 1100 Words You Need to Know
- Session: Week 2, Day 4
- New Words: Avid — Cajole — Rudimentary — Enhance – Nuance
You’ve Got To Be a Football Expert
As an avid football fan, I try to see every game the Jets play. Whenever I can cajole my father into accompanying me, I try to do so. He has only a rudimentary knowledge of the game, and since I am steeped* in it, I enjoy explaining its intricate details to him. It certainly does enhance your appreciation of football when you are aware of every nuance of the sport.
Use the new words in the following sentences. You may have to change the ending of a word.
1. Since my grasp of algebra is __________, I cannot solve the problem.
2. The parakeet refused to be __________ into entering her cage.
3. It will __________ your enjoyment of an opera if you know what the plot is about in advance.
4. In reading the satires of Jonathan Swift, one must be vigilant* in order to catch each __________.
5. Bill Clinton is an __________ reader of mystery stories.
Match the new words with their meanings.
6. avid ____ a. eager
7. cajole ____ b. slight variation in meaning, tone, etc.
8. rudimentary ____ c. coax
9. enhance ____ d. intensify, heighten
10. nuance ____ e. elementary