- 1100 Words You Need to Know
- Vocab Class:
- Coursebook: 1100 Words You Need to Know
- Session: Week 3, Day 3
- New Words: ominous — tremulous — repudiate — cessation — bristle
There was an ominous silence when the jittery defendant rose in court. He explained in a tremulous voice what had led him to
repudiate his confession made at the police station on the night of the crime. The audience began to buzz excitedly until the judge demanded a cessation of the noise. Although the district attorney bristled with anger, the defendant kept insisting that his rights had been violated because he had not been told that he could see a lawyer before confessing.
Fit the new words into the blanks.
1. After the weatherman had seen the __________ clouds, he prognosticated* rain.
2. The general attempted to __________ the testimony of the lieutenant, claiming that the young officer was not an authority on low level bombing.
3. Upon seeing the snake, the cat began to __________ with fear.
4. The widow’s __________ hands revealed her nervousness.
5. The __________ of the bombing in Yugoslavia was urged by the Pope.
Match the new words with their meanings.
6. ominous ____ a. a stopping
7. tremulous ____ b. to reject, decline
8. repudiate ____ c. stiffen with fear or anger
9. cessation ____ d. threatening
10. bristle (v.) ____ e. quivering