Mullins Forced to Eat Humble Pie*
The irate* 80-year-old manager pressed charges against K.O. Mullins, suing him for assault. As tangible evidence of the attack, he pointed to a deep laceration over his eyebrow that had required ten stitches. When the case was brought before the court, the judge castigated Mullins for the sordid incident. In addition to a costly financial settlement, Mullins was required to make a public apology to the octogenarian.
Use the new words in the following sentences.
- The medic reached into his kit to find a bandage for the ugly __________.
- Mr. Dixon belittled* our request for __________ proof of his loyalty.
- The kindly foreman was too reticent* to openly __________ the clumsy new worker.
- When the teenager announced her engagement to the __________, the public suspected it to be a publicity stunt.
- Stories of their __________ youth poured forth from the unhappy felons.
Match the new words with their meanings.
- tangible ____ a. having actual form
- laceration ____ b. to correct by punishing
- castigate ____ c. jagged wound
- sordid ____ d. dirty, base
- octogenarian ____ e. person in his or her eighties
Hobson’s choice to have no choice at all (Mr. Hobson owned a livery stable but he did not allow the customers to pick their own horses)