IELTS Writing Task 1 | Population Growth
Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information delineated in the graph.
- You have 20 minutes for this task.
- Your essay should consist of at least 150 words.
- The IELTS Writing Task 1 is an information transfer task, which requires you to write an accurate account of some information presented in graphic form, for example, a graph, table, or some form of a pictorial representation of data.
- Your addressee is a university lecturer.
- It is important to read the instructions closely to specify the main focus of your report.
Planning Your Task
- Make sure to spend around 3 to 5 minutes planning and organizing your answer. That is to say, do NOT start writing immediately. During this pre-writing time, try to analyze the delineated data carefully.
- In the exam, you can write notes on the illustration and in a clearly defined space on the front of your answer paper.
- Your notes could be in abbreviated forms in order to save time. Remember that your notes are personal and won’t be assessed.
- During planning, decide which significant details will be discussed to reflect the task requirements.
- While planning your task, you should determine the time period so that the correct tense is used.
How to Start Writing?
- It is recommended that you start your IELTS Writing Task 1 with a restatement of the keywords in the instructions. In so doing, you will give a broad overview of the details in the pictorial form.
- You should write one clear sentence to introduce the illustration.
- After your general introduction, you should write one or two sentences to indicate the relationships between the data or demonstrate a trend.
- Write more sentences to provide a more in-depth account of the data that transcends your general statement.
How to Analyze the Graph?
- Do not try to describe the graph in a linear or sequential order. Instead, you must develop a nonlinear and profound understanding of the data.
- Since the data with a pictorial form are not accessible to your addressee, who is a university lecturer, you ought to come to a conclusion to make sense of the whole data. In your concluding paragraph, you can use the notes you took while analyzing and organizing the data in your pre-writing activity lasting for 3 to 5 minutes.
- You should write one sentence to conclude your writing.
- As it is typical of any writing task, it is strongly recommended that you proofread your own report for possible mistakes.
Verbs to Describe the Data
- Decline ⬇️
- Decrease ⬇️
- Fall ⬇️
- Grow ⬆️
- Increase ⬆️
- Rise ⬆️
Intensifiers to Describe the Data
Another Dominant Structure
|There||Article||Adjective||Descriptive Noun||Prepositional Phrase (in what)|
The line graph demonstrates population figures for India and China since the year 2000 and predicted population growth up until 2050. The vertical axis indicates the total populations (in billions) and the horizontal axis shows the period between 2000 and 2050.
From 2000 to 2025, there was a gradual rise in both countries’ population and eventually, in 2030, the population of both countries was the same with the population of over one billion and four hundred million. There was an insignificant decline in the population of China from 2030 to 2050, however, at the same period of time, there was a considerable increase in the population of India from over one billion and four hundred million to one billion and six hundred million.
To conclude, the line graph illustrates that there has been an upward trend for the population of India in this period of time and it will be increased slowly in the future. On the other hand, the population of China will be decreased moderately after this period.
- Paragraph 1
- Paragraph 2:
- Line 2: one billion and four hundred million ➡ 1.4 billion
- Paragraph 3:
- Line 1: will be increased ➡ will increase
- Line 2: will be decreased ➡ will decrease
- Chart Analysis:
- You don’t need to refer to the vertical or horizontal axes of the line graph. Instead, you should interpret the graph.
- The most important factor in this task is to be able to interpret the data. You have not provided an accurate account of the visualized data.
- Some examples:
- There has been a sharp / steady increase in India’s population from 2000 to 2050, while China’s population has undergone some fluctuation.
- China’s population seems to adopt a descending trend in the future; accordingly, we can conclude that this country has been more successful in controlling overpopulation issues.
- Choice of Words (Diction): Above average
- Coherence: Good
- Cohesion: Good
- Grammar: Good
- Reasoning: You should also develop some implicit reasoning, i.e. making inferences.
- Word Count: “170” Great!