An Inspiring Course for Intellectuals
- Session 82: Forgiveness
- Key Words: forgiveness, understanding, tolerance, pardon, reconciliation, exoneration, etc.
- Class Time: Wednesday, May 18th, 2016, 21:00 to 22:00 (Iran’s Time Zone)
Use the audio player below to listen to the podcast of this session:
Related Audio/Video File:
- File Name: The Power of Forgiveness – The Science of Happiness
- What are some of the advantages of forgiveness?
- Describe the technique that was used in the video to exercise forgiveness.
- What was the role of the mirror when the participants tried to forgive?
- What changes appeared in the participants’ behaviors after putting the technique to use?
- Does forgiveness require two people to be involved?
- Do you need to verbally excuse somebody for what he/she has done to you in order to forgive them?
Related Idioms, Proverbs & Expressions:
- Off the hook: Excused – released – exempted
- Pardon/excuse my French: Used humorously to say that you are sorry for using a swear word or solecism
- Forgive a debt/loan: To write off – To declare that some money does not need to be paid back
- Forgiveness is essential for mental health and peace of mind.
- Sit relaxed and take some deep breaths.
- Visualize yourself when you were most productive. Do not capture images of yourself when you were unproductive for any reason.
- In order to forgive yourself, first you need to forgive others.
- Mention the names of the people that you think they’ve offended you.
- Then say that you will release them to God.
- Wish happiness and success for them, no matter how offensive they have been to you.
- Remember that if you hold grudge of them, you just hurt yourself.
- The acid test for forgiveness is that there are some memories and you do not delete the memories, but the memories are not that bitter anymore.
- When God asks you to forgive others, it is for your own good. (Joyce Meyer)
- If you don’t learn to forgive others, the only person who is hurt is you.
Please take an either positive or negative position to the statement below. You cannot be neutral. If all students have the same idea, the teacher will play devil’s advocate to have a heated argument.
On some occasions, you should not forgive.
This woman cannot forgive an offender.
Reaching a Conclusion:
- At the end of each session, we try to come to an informed conclusion on the selected issue.
- The students are expected to take notes during the class and use their notes to reach a conclusion at the end of each session in around 2 minutes.
Call for Feedback:
In online classes, which one is more important: teacher’s intimacy or teacher’s immediacy?