Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost is a beautiful English poem in the public domain with a podcast and vocabulary practice in real context based on the English Immersion Program for advanced ESL students.

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
      His house is in the village though;
      He will not see me stopping here
      To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
      To stop without a farmhouse near
      Between the woods and frozen lake
      The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
      To ask if there is some mistake.
      The only other sound’s the sweep
      Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
      But I have promises to keep,
      And miles to go before I sleep,
      And miles to go before I sleep.

— By Robert Frost

Podcast of Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Analysis of Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Nirvana 1100 words you need to know week 21 day 4 at LELB Society with flashcards for GRE, IELTS & TOEFL

The text of the poem reflects the thoughts of a lone wagon driver (the narrator), pausing at dusk in his travel to watch snow falling in the woods. It ends with him reminding himself that, despite the loveliness of the view, “I have promises to keep, / And miles to go before I sleep.

Source of analysis: Wikipedia

Armaghan Houshmand
      Participant

I found this poem lovely and gratifying.
      For me it evoked senses of loneliness and gloominess.
      The narrator had the desire to stay longer and enjoy the forest, but due to his responsibilities it was impossible.

You got the whole poem right. I selected and recited this poem simple because I’ve experienced this dilemma a great number of times. Like the poet, Robert Frost, I’m also fascinated by nature. For this reason, I often allocate some short time to myself in the nature each day, no matter what.

PARNIAN HUSH
      Participant

It was a beautiful poem. Its atmosphere reminded me of some Sohrab Sepehri’s poems.

Such a fair comparison you’ve made between this poem and Sohrab Sepehri’s! Thank you! I wish we could analyze his poems as well, but this is basically an English course.

Soroosh Houshmand
      Participant

Actually, I think this film was showing love to us.but I don’t get that why snow falling in the woods remind lone wagon of love?.

This was not a film, Soroosh, but a poem by Robert Frost. And about your question, I guess the poet was attracted to the tranquility and beauty of the scene covered with snow, and because of that, he wanted to stay there longer than expected.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.