Captain Fantastic Movie Review in Film Criticism Course

Last updated on October 13th, 2023 by | Category: | 64 Views | Reading Time: 13 minutes
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Captain Fantastic movie review and analysis in film criticism course forum for advanced ESL students on the basis of the English Immersion Program.

Source of image: Baltimore Magazine

Captain Fantastic movie review

The actor turned writer-director Matt Ross insists his appropriation of an Elton John album title for his second feature was “subconscious” and entirely accidental. Yet as I watched this strange and wonderful tale of an isolated family living a back-to-nature existence in the forests of the Pacific Northwest, fragments of Bernie Taupin’s sublime lyrics from the 1975 title track of Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy kept drifting through my mind.

Source: The Guardian

Practice reading & listening on rainforests at LELB Society with podcast and flashcards for IELTS by Morteza Mousavi

Captain Fantastic movie trailer

If you cannot see the embedded video below, click here to watch Captain Fantastic movie trailer directly.

PARNIAN HUSH
      Participant

The way this family lived in the jungles was so strange. I don’t know how Ben, the father, managed to learn them so many things. They lived so healthy and they all were so clever. The part that they danced and singed for their mother’s funeral was one of the best parts of this movie. I really liked Ben’s point of view, it was so unique. However he realized the children need to communicate with others and learn from them, not just the books. So he finally sent them to school.

Feedback
        * the difference between “learn” and “teach” in your second sentence
        * The past form of “sing” is “sang”.
        * They lived so healthily.

Armaghan Houshmand
      Participant

The theme of this movie was unique and I really enjoyed it. The last scene of the movie made me cry, it was so emotional and dramatic. The movie showed that although the parents managed to live a healthy and unique life in the wild, the children lacked communication abilities.

As you correctly mentioned, in this film, the main character, the father, had a totally weird attitude toward parenting and life. I believe this attitude is acceptable if and only if it is directed to its holder, i.e. the father. In my view, the father had no right to raise his children according to his own philosophy and interests.

Soroosh Houshmand
      Participant

I really didn’t like this movie. It doesn’t make sense because in the movie the hole point was that the father and the children’s of the family wanted to do the favor of the dead mother, it is some how stupid.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.