Best English Quote on Philosophy of life by Henry David Thoreau

Last updated on October 13th, 2023 by | Category: | 80 Views | Reading Time: 16 minutes

LELB Society: A Bilingual Academy of English & Persian Forums Good Quotes for Discussion Forum for ESL Students Best English Quote on Philosophy of life by Henry David Thoreau

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

English quote on philosophy of life by Henry David Thoreau to practice writing based on asynchronous learning with feedback and follow-up discussion in online classes

English quote on philosophy of life

The Salty Sea - Jungle

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion. For most men, it appears to me, are in a strange uncertainty about it.

— By Henry David Thoreau

Podcast about quote on philosophy of life

About Henry David Thoreau

Henry David Thoreau (July 12, 1817 – May 6, 1862) was an American naturalist, essayist, poet, and philosopher. A leading transcendentalist, he is best known for his book Walden, a reflection upon simple living in natural surroundings, and his essay “Civil Disobedience” (originally published as “Resistance to Civil Government”), an argument for disobedience to an unjust state.

Source: Wikipedia

PARNIAN HUSH
      Participant

It is so interesting how many years humans have lived and we still can’t exactly understand the philosophy of it. He didn’t mention the conclusion, I wanted to know that.

You can click on the provided link as the source to continue reading. As far as I know, this quote is included in his work entitled “Walden”.

Farhang Hooshmand
      Participant

How perfectionist was the writer. He wants to know whether life has enough value to live and whether we enjoy and experience every single moment of it and learn what we have to teach that when we come to death we know that we had done what we should. How nice is this thought and how beautifully was described. I really enjoyed it.

The grammatical distinction between a question and an exclamation:
        * How nice is this thought? (question)
        * How nice this thought is! (exclamation)
        * How beautifully it was described! (exclamation)
        * How beautifully was it described? (question)

Soroosh Houshmand
      Participant

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach. Wow, this poem was really incredible and amazing and Henry David Thoreau was really talented to right this.

Armaghan Houshmand
      Participant

I got familiar with this poem (quote) for the first time from Dead Poet Society movie. The theme of this quote and the movie ( Carpe diem), still makes me think and wonder. I was a teenager back then and this quote had touched me and inspired me to follow my passion and live a better and more conscious life.

I agree. Both this quote and the movie are extraordinary. Life is too short and precious to be wasted on the plans and goals set by others.
        Feedback
        * Dead Poets Society

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.