The Sixth Sense Movie Review & Analysis in Film Criticism

Last updated on May 6, 2023 by | 184 Views | Reading Time: 12 minutes
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

The Sixth Sense movie review and analysis in film criticism course forum for advanced ESL students to enjoy learning English with great movies every week. Join LELB Society’s students and members and participate in our film criticism course for free.

The Sixth Sense movie review

“The Sixth Sense” isn’t a thriller in the modern sense, but more of a ghost story of the sort that flourished years ago, when ordinary people glimpsed hidden dimensions. It has long been believed that children are better than adults at seeing ghosts; the barriers of skepticism are not yet in place. In this film, a small boy solemnly tells his psychologist, “I see dead people. They want me to do things for them.” He seems to be correct.

Source: https://www.rogerebert.com/

The Sixth Sense movie trailer

If you cannot see the embedded video below, click here to watch The Sixth Sense movie trailer directly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd-uX-zRGEk

The Sixth Sense movie analysis

Some of the reasons for the movie’s mass appeal were obvious. The jawdropping twist ending was water-cooler fodder for weeks after the movie’s release; Bruce Willis and Haley Joel Osment’s performances were both so authentic, their roles as Dr. Malcolm and Cole Sear became iconic overnight; and the grief-related side-plots (Cole’s mom and Dr. Malcolm’s wife both suffer from recent losses) brought a heart and soul to the proceedings that horror movies sometimes lack. The marks The Sixth Sense left on pop culture weren’t just immediate, they’ve since proved impossible to erase.

Source: https://www.kqed.org/

Armaghan Houshmand
      Participant

I liked this movie, it was horrific and spooky. Most of all the plot twist at the end blew my mind and after that it was easy to put everything together.
      The child actor Haley Joel Osment played really well and I could sense the horror through his eyes.
      Overall the idea of the plot and story were
      creative, at least for its time.

As a horror movie with a ghost story, The Sixth Sense is a success. However, I didn’t like the name selected for this movie. I consider the sixth sense to be more comprehensive and broader. It should not be limited to communicating with the dead. In my idea, the sixth sense and intuition are mysterious abilities or talents that are inborn and could be acquired to some extent through critical thinking, gaining general knowledge about the fundamentals of the universe, meditation, and the like.

The ending of the movie was a big surprise for me. If I got the story right, the child psychologist was a ghost in the film from the first moment when he saw the clairvoyant boy, and I had no idea about that until the last moment.

Soroosh Houshmand
      Participant

I liked this movie it was really spooky and it was completely about the sixth sense. But I have a Question why just some of the people have this in the movie,
      Especially the child’s like Kol. I have a question why kol didn’t told malkum that he was a ghost?! And I want to say In the movie I think that the wife of malkum is just a betrayal and with a another guy but when I realized that malkum is died I really get sad.

Some people are just more talented or blessed with the sixth sense. We can say they’re more intuitive by nature.
        In my idea, the little boy didn’t tell Dr. Malcom about him being a ghost because he thought Dr. Malcom was already aware of that.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.