Arrival Movie Review in Film Criticism Course Forum

Last updated on January 26th, 2024 by | Category: | 130 Views | Reading Time: 13 minutes
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Arrival movie review and analysis in film criticism course forum for advanced ESL students based on the English Immersion Program

Source of image: EDCrocks

Arrival movie review

Psycholinguistic models in second language learning with recorded lecture by Dr. Mohammad Hossein Hariri Asl

Both the book and the screenwriting required the invention of a form of alien linguistics which recurs in the plot. The film uses a script designed by the artist Martine Bertrand (wife of the production designer Patrice Vermette), based on scriptwriter Heisserer’s original concept. Computer scientists Stephen and Christopher Wolfram analyzed it to provide the basis for Banks’s work in the film. Their works are summarized in a GitHub repository. Three linguists from McGill University were consulted. The sound files for the alien language were created with consultation from Morgan Sonderegger, a phonetics expert.

Source: Wikipedia

Arrival movie trailer

If you cannot see the embedded video below, click here to watch Arrival movie trailer directly.

Armaghan Houshmand
      Participant

While watching this movie, I kept my eyes on the screen the whole time. The sound editing and actings were fascinating and mind blowing.
      The movie raised the questions about having free will, circular/linear time and having the ability to know the future.
      The plot also had spiritual aspects. The aspects of living in the moment and embracing them.
      This movie made me think for quite a long time, even till this day I question myself what would I do if I knew the future. Would I change things? Or i would just let it happen and count it as destiny and fate.

Feedback
        1. actings = acting (uncountable)
        2. mind blowing = mind-blowing (a hyphenated word)
        3. A simple typo (i = I)
        4. I question myself what would I do = I question myself what I would do

PARNIAN HUSH
      Participant

I really loved this movie. It wasn’t science fiction; It was spiritual. The art of loving and enjoying the moments although you know the end is not pleasant. I do not know how to feel about Louise’s decision which she didn’t tell her husband what she knew about their daughter at the first place and telling him while it was too late. I sometimes tell myself what if I knew what will happen in the future but after watching this movie I thing that it is a blessing that we are not able to see the future.

Feedback
        1. at the first place = in the first place (as a conjunction, did you mean that?)
        2. what if I knew what will happen in the future = what if I knew what would happen in the future
        3. I thing that = I think that

Soroosh Houshmand
      Participant

This was just something else. I enjoy every second of this film.i really liked the first attraction between Louis and the aliens, it was so cool. And their language is really good because they right a long sentence just with one circle and they can see the future with it.

That’s a fairly decent comment you’ve posted, Soroosh. Keep doing that. Their language was not alphabetical like English, Persian, etc., but logographical, like Chinese. It means that for each word or concept, there’s a corresponding image or sign to represent the concept.
        Feedback
        1. they right a long sentence = they write a long sentence

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.