Green Book Movie Review & Analysis in Film Criticism

Last updated on August 4th, 2023 by | Category: | 93 Views | Reading Time: 13 minutes
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Green Book movie review and analysis in film criticism course forum for advanced ESL students based on the English immersion program to watch, enjoy and critique great English films every week

Green Book movie review

Mahershala Ali and Viggo Mortensen are two excellent actors outclassing their material in this amiable, feelgood entertainment, inspired by a true story. Mortensen plays Tony Vallelonga, a 1960s music club bouncer from New York who got a job as personal driver and minder to African-American jazz musician Don Shirley (Ali) on a tour through the Jim Crow south – armed with The Green Book, a guide to hotels and restaurants hospitable to black people.

Source: The Guardian

Green Book movie trailer

If you cannot see the embedded video below, click here to watch Green Book movie trailer directly.

Green Book movie analysis

The film, which took home the prize for Best Picture at the 91st Academy Awards, as well as honors for Mahershala Ali as Best Supporting Actor and Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie and Peter Farrelly for Best Original Screenplay, depicts the burgeoning friendship between a black classical pianist and his Italian-American driver as they travel the 1960s segregated South on a concert tour. But while Green Book was an awards frontrunner all season, its road to Oscar night was riddled with missteps and controversies over its authenticity and racial politics.

Source: Time

Armaghan Houshmand
      Participant

This movie is a movie based on a true story. Dr. Don Shirley was an educated African-American pianist who embarked on a concert tour in South America. Which was not a safe thing to do as a black person back then due to segregation and racism. He and Tony Lip_ his American-Italian personal driver and bodyguard_ who was a racist at first, start this journey but surprisingly build up a deep friendship despite their personality differences. Green Book was an annual guidebook for African-American roadtrippers
      This was a very beautiful and meaning full movie for me and I enjoyed watching it a lot. Both main actors did a great job.

Unlike The Green Mile which I didn’t like very much, I found Green Book interesting and educational. This comparison is made because I’m a passionate advocate of movies based on true stories. Green Book depicted that shockingly even in the Unites States, racism was being practiced in the 1960s. At the time of watching the film, I noticed how greatly Martin Luther King Jr. has influenced the American culture.

In addition, Green Book portrayed the clash of opinions between two distinct social classes or castes and how these two people accepted to be positively affected by each other. As a result of this, it was difficult for me to distinguish between the main character or protagonist and the supporting actor.

PARNIAN HUSH
      Participant

This movie shows us the power of friendship. Tony Lip who has been racist for years now begin to like black people and his best friend is one of them. And also Dr. Don Shirley ,a clean freak person, starts to take life easier.

It was so interesting and entertaining how they overcome their personality and the problems they had because of racism to be a good friend to one another.

This is one of my favorite movies, I really enjoy watching it every time I do.

Soroosh Houshmand
      Participant

This film is really great and I give it 9/5 and I want to say it was really great that this film shows us that racism is stupid.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.