Wonder Movie Criticism & Analysis – Film Criticism Course

Last updated on February 5th, 2023 by | Category: | 49 Views | Reading Time: 12 minutes
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Wonder movie criticism and analysis in Film Criticism Course forum for ESL students and advanced students of English to practice all the four skills at once and immerse themselves in English naturally.

Wonder movie criticism

Parents need to know that Wonder is an earnest, emotional family drama based on R.J. Palacio’s award-winning novel of the same name. It centers on Auggie Pullman (Jacob Tremblay), a young boy with a genetic facial difference. Auggie meets both cruel bullies and good friends as he attends school for the first time; his supportive family (including his parents, played by Julia Roberts and Owen Wilson) is always there for him — even when he tries to push them away. The movie has clear positive messages about choosing kindness, appreciating everyone for who they are (rather than what they look like), and true friendship; empathy and perseverance are also strong themes. There’s some fighting among tweens/young teens and sad moments involving a loss. Language includes name-calling and insult words like “shut up,” “jerk,” “freak,” and “deformed,” as well as an “oh my God” or two.

Source: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/

Wonder movie trailer

Click here to watch Wonder movie trailer directly.

Wonder movie summary

Based on the R.J. Palacio novel of the same name, “Wonder” follows a year in the life of August Pullman (Jacob Tremblay), Auggie, for short. He was born with a genetic abnormality that has required him to undergo surgeries and medical treatments since his earliest days.

Director Stephen Chbosky has managed to take a story that could have been painfully mawkish and made it genuinely moving in (mostly) understated ways. The makeup work here is solid and believable, revealing Auggie’s sad eyes behind downturned facial lines and nubs of skin for ears. He’s a prepubescent Rocky Dennis. The script, co-written by Chbosky, Steve Conrad and Jack Thorne, is wise to establish quickly that Auggie is a regular kid in every other way.

Source: https://www.rogerebert.com/

Armaghan Houshmand
      Participant

My score to this movie is 7.8
      I enjoyed it really much. Almost every scene was full of emotion.
      I loved the actings, especially the child actors, they had a huge talent.
      I also really liked the dialogues and the conversations between the characters. Like where Auggie says to her mom that she is only telling him that he’s not ugly because she’s his mother, and she replies that because she is his mom so it will counts the most. Or “you can’t blend in when you were born to stand out”, they made me think.
      And I also liked how the movie portrayed the power of friendship and a good family and also each character’s challenges.

I can rank this movie 6.5 of 10. Despite being based on one of the best-selling novels published in New Yorker, it could be more inspiring than this. I believe I could finish the story better than its current ending. Like the previous movie, Whiplash, initially, I thought I would be watching a great movie. Yet, my expectations did not come true.

First of all, I believe Auggie was not that ugly or unattractive at all. I found him really cute and lovely and he did not have any grotesque face. Second, the plot of the story, especially in the second half, became boring and uneventful. On many occasions, Auggie was not at the center of the story at all. For this reason, I guess the film lacked any decent sense of focus.

The ending was the worst. Auggie received an award, which I believe he didn’t deserve. He had not accomplished anything special to earn and deserve that award. I could retell this fictional story in a way that Auggie could have become a prodigy or genius in spite of his unattractiveness, and for this fulfilment, he was widely appreciated.

Soroosh Houshmand
      Participant

My score for this film is 9 .
      It was really good I enjoyed it .
      Everything of it was great but I don’t know why it was showing so many life’s of people that doesn’t make sense.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.