Whiplash Movie Analysis & Criticism Film Criticism Course

Last updated on January 27, 2023 by | 46 Views | Reading Time: 11 minutes
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Whiplash movie analysis and criticism in film criticism course forum for ESL students and advanced English learners to immerse themselves in English every week and enjoy learning English only on great English movies.

Whiplash movie summary

Andrew Neiman (Miles Teller) is an ambitious young jazz drummer, in pursuit of rising to the top of his elite music conservatory. Terence Fletcher (J.K. Simmons), an instructor known for his terrifying teaching methods, discovers Andrew and transfers the aspiring drummer into the top jazz ensemble, forever changing the young man’s life. But Andrew’s passion to achieve perfection quickly spirals into obsession, as his ruthless teacher pushes him to the brink of his ability and his sanity.

Source: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/

Whiplash movie trailer

Click here to watch Whiplash movie trailer directly.

Whiplash movie review and analysis

“Whiplash” is cinematic adrenalin. In an era when so many films feel more refined by focus groups or marketing managers, it is a deeply personal and vibrantly alive drama. Damien Chazelle has taken a relatively staid subject like the relationship between a music student and his teacher and turned it into a thriller built on a brilliant undercurrent of social commentary about what it takes to make it in an increasingly competitive and cutthroat world. How far are you willing to push yourself to succeed? How far are you willing to push someone else to force them on the path to success? Carried by two electric performances, the tightest editing in a film this year and a daring screenplay that writes itself into a corner and then somehow finds an unexpected way out, “Whiplash” is as breathless as a drum solo, rising and falling just as the hopes and dreams of its protagonist climb and crash.

Source: https://www.rogerebert.com/

Armaghan Houshmand
      Participant

My score to this movie is 8.
      I have to say first, that the acting, music and lighting and cinematography was amazing.
      Especially JK Simmons, whom acting just blew my mind.
      I also really enjoyed the plot and how it captured the relationship between student and a highly strict teacher.
      If I were in Andrew’s shoes, I would have sued Terence Fletcher too.
      His behavior was not good at all, he put his students in a lot of pressure. I think that teachers should be honest and give honest feedbacks to their students and if they should do more effort and work, they should give them advice, not throw a chair at them or slap them or yell at them. It’s obvious that this kind of behavior only makes students more stressed out and in a long term can cause depression and anxiety.
      Overall I believe that as a teacher, yelling at one student and criticizing them badly in front of other students, is not gonna help them to make progress, it gonna make them angry and fill them with shame and hate.

Soroosh Houshmand
      Participant

My point of the movie is 8.75.
      Because it was funny good I love the music story characters and more more and more.
      It was great why not .

As I mentioned that in the class, the beginning of the movie was so exciting. Nevertheless, I never liked its ending. As a teacher, it is ridiculous to me to make a huge sacrifice to instruct one particular student and close my eyes to everything else, even my own professional life and credit.

That terrible accident, which could easily be prevented, could cost Andrew his life for really nothing. I believe the strict teacher had psychological issues, like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or OCD, and even worse than that, he was not aware of his issues.

On the other hand, I think Andrew was also responsible for his wretchedness. I mean much of his terrible situation was based on self-inflicted misery. If I were in his shoes, I would fiercely face up to the uncivilized music teacher and nip the evil in the bud.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.