A Man for All Seasons Movie Review and Analysis

Last updated on August 4th, 2023 by | Category: | 210 Views | Reading Time: 11 minutes
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

A Man for All Seasons movie review and analysis in Film Criticism Course forum for advanced ESL students to practice English with great movies every week. Join LELB Society’s members and students to participate in our film criticism course forum.

A Man for All Seasons movie review

Sir Thomas More was a lawyer and scholar at the court of King Henry VIII. As a devout Catholic, he had serious reservations about the king’s divorce from Catherine of Aragon and remarriage to Anne Boleyn. He was found guilty of high treason and executed in 1535. In 1935, he was canonized as St Thomas More.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/

A Man for All Seasons movie trailer

If you cannot see the embedded video below, click here to watch A Man for All Seasons movie trailer directly.

A Man for All Seasons movie analysis

A Man for All Seasons is the story of a man who knows who he is. The 1966 film (there is also a 1988 Charlton Heston made-for-TV version), which won six Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Actor (Paul Scofield), is brilliant and compelling, steely with conviction, luminous with genuine wisdom and wit. The screenplay, well adapted by Robert Bolt from his own stage play, is fiercely intelligent, deeply affecting, resonant with verbal beauty and grace. Scofield, who for years starred in the stage play before making the film, gives an effortlessly rich and layered performance as Sir Thomas More, saint and martyr, the man whose determined silence spoke more forcefully than words, and who then spoke even more forcefully by breaking it.

Source: https://decentfilms.com/

Armaghan Houshmand
      Participant

A Man for all seasons has become one of my favorite movies, I truly enjoyed it. The actings, the costumes, and directing were spectacular. No wonder it won several academy awards.
      The movie was about Sir Thomas More who couldn’t break his own religious beliefs even when it meant defying the king’s command.

A Man for All Seasons is the biography of Sir Thomas More who became a saint or a holy person only after his death because he was a man of principles and integrity. St. Thomas More did not acquiesce to decadence, corruption, and bribery and stood up against injustice with his special witticism and honesty. He did not sell his soul to the devil in return for a high position or authority.

Soroosh Houshmand
      Participant

I actually like and I want to say that the king was so dumb.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.