Groundhog Day Movie Review in Film Criticism Course

Last updated on April 2nd, 2023 by | Category: | 95 Views | Reading Time: 11 minutes

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Groundhog Day movie review and analysis in film criticism course forum for advanced ESL students to immerse yourself in English with best English movies and films. Join LELB Society and analyze great movies every week to enjoy learning English.

Groundhog Day movie review

“Groundhog Day” is a film that finds its note and purpose so precisely that its genius may not be immediately noticeable. It unfolds so inevitably, is so entertaining, so apparently effortless, that you have to stand back and slap yourself before you see how good it really is.

Certainly I underrated it in my original review; I enjoyed it so easily that I was seduced into cheerful moderation. But there are a few films, and this is one of them, that burrow into our memories and become reference points. When you find yourself needing the phrase This is like “Groundhog Day” to explain how you feel, a movie has accomplished something.

Source: https://www.rogerebert.com/

Groundhog Day movie trailer

If you cannot see the embedded video below, click here to watch Groundhog Day movie trailer directly.

Groundhog Day movie analysis

This romantic comedy stars Bill Murray as a repugnantly self-centered Pittsburgh TV weatherman who has a low regard for everyone else in the universe. Bored with his life, he heads up to Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, as he does every year on February 2, to report on the Groundhog Day Festival.

To his astonishment, Phil finds himself trapped in a rerun of his most unfavorite day of the year. Over and over and over again, he wakes up at 6:00 am to the radio sound of Sonny and Cher’s “I Got You Babe” and a series of encounters with his producer, Rita (Andie MacDowell), his cameraman (Chris Elliott), and an awkward insurance salesman (Stephen Tobolowsky) who knew him in high school.

Source: https://www.spiritualityandpractice.com/

Armaghan Houshmand
      Participant

That was a funny and comforting movie. Although the plot was a bit cliche but I really wanted to know what will happen at the end.

Groundhog Day is a special movie that superficially seems to be comic. Nevertheless, upon more consideration, you can realize that it’s a great movie with moral lessons. The loop of time in which Bill Murray was trapped taught him precious lessons and made him be a changed person gradually. This gradual change in his attitude is at the center of the film.

Groundhog Day has influenced me significantly as I’ve learned to add spice and dynamism to my life and get away from routines. I learned that even immortality could be intolerable, and helping and loving others can open your heart and mind. Loving others is the message we hear from extremely old people who are dealing with death.

Phil voluntarily helped the beggar on the street. He also moved forward from romance to pure love toward Rita, and above all, he mindfully kept distance from egocentrism and vanity and got closer to philanthropy and benevolence.

I also learned that conscious changes are always good. I cannot forget it when Phil, in the end, said, “today is finally tomorrow!”

Soroosh Houshmand
      Participant

This movie was very bad I give it 0.5 out of 10

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.