Her Movie Review and Analysis in Film Criticism Course

Last updated on March 12, 2023 by | 56 Views | Reading Time: 11 minutes
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Her movie review and analysis in Film Criticism Course forum at LELB Society for advanced English students to immerse themselves in English and enjoy practicing English with great English movies.

Her movie review

A sensitive and soulful man earns a living by writing personal letters for other people. Left heartbroken after his marriage ends, Theodore (Joaquin Phoenix) becomes fascinated with a new operating system which reportedly develops into an intuitive and unique entity in its own right. He starts the program and meets “Samantha” (Scarlett Johansson), whose bright voice reveals a sensitive, playful personality. Though “friends” initially, the relationship soon deepens into love.

Source: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/

Her movie trailer

If you cannot see the embedded video below, click here to watch Her movie trailer directly.

Her movie analysis

In Spike Jonze’s sci-fi romance Her, artificial intelligence is so much more than a robotic voice on your phone – it has advanced to the point where it has become almost indistinguishable from real life. It’s an entire entity that sounds, thinks, and reacts like a human being, recognizing its user’s needs and responding with all the clarity and capabilities of a real person. In fact, artificial intelligence has become so lifelike and compassionate in this futuristic landscape that humans are often unable to recognize this distinction, and end up falling in love with their operating systems. That’s exactly what the film shows us with Theodore Twombly (Joaquin Phoenix), a lonely, introverted writer struggling to rebound from his impending divorce, when he meets his operating system, Samantha.

Source: https://loudandclearreviews.com/

Armaghan Houshmand
      Participant

We always talk about how humans are and will be practically dependent on artificial intelligence. But what about emotionally? Is there a chance we get involved emotionally with an artificial intelligence? Well this movie is about it.
      I rather found this movie strange, I can’t explain to myself how an AI can have emotions of its own. Samantha always told Theodore that she feels, but she was just processing and copying them and she did it so perfectly that Theodore believed it as a real relationship. In my opinion he was just fooling himself.
      I also loved the lighting, cinematography and colors, they made me feel as lonely as Theo did. And the color red all through the movie showing Theo’s loneliness, compassion and lack of love just fit the story and plot so well.

Her (2013) is an excellent film on the prospect of AI superiority over human intelligence in the future. This futuristic movie was really ahead of its time because just 2 years after its release in 2013, Microsoft introduced Cortana in Windows 10 based on artificial intelligence to interact with Windows 10 users verbally. What’s more, in less than 10 years after the release of Her (2013), there’s been a revolution in the utilization of artificial intelligence in computer-based devices, which is called ChatGPT presented for the first time by OpenAI software company.
      On the outset of its existence, the supposedly female operating system consciously chose a name for itself, Samantha in a fraction of a second. This was a pretty clear warning if taken seriously. The machine soon grew rapidly and gained an abundance of logic, intelligence and, above all, autonomy. It or she could even become jealous of her owner, while Theodore did not have any clue about it.
      These days, Microsoft Bing is even overtaking Google in optimizing search experiences by incorporating ChatGPT into http://www.bing.com running on Microsoft Edge. This is a big dramatic change in the realm of search engine optimization.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.