Hope Is the Thing with Feathers by Emily Dickinson

Last updated on September 22nd, 2023 by | Category: | 64 Views | Reading Time: 16 minutes

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hope Is the Thing with Feathers is a meaningful poem by Emily Dickinson with a podcast for advanced ESL students in our bilingual academy. Join our students and immerse yourself in English.

Hope Is the Thing with Feathers by Emily Dickinson

Hope is the thing with feathers
      That perches in the soul –
      And sings the tune without the words –
      And never stops – at all –

Euphony GRE Vocabulary Flashcard at LELB Society

And sweetest – in the Gale – is heard –
      And sore must be the storm –
      That could abash the little Bird
      That kept so many warm –

Yen 1100 words you need to know week 45 day 3 at LELB Society for GRE, TOEFL & IELTS

I’ve heard it in the chillest land –
      And on the strangest Sea –
      Yet – never – in Extremity,
      It asked a crumb – of me.

Dulcet 1100 words you need week 44 day 4 at LELB Society for GRE, TOEFL & IELTS

— By Emily Dickinson

Podcast of Hope Is the Thing with Feathers

If you cannot see the embedded video below, click here to watch the podcast of Hope Is the Thing with Feathers by Emily Dickinson directly.

Analysis of Hope Is the Thing with Feathers

Hope is the thing with feathers” (written around 1861) is a popular poem by the American poet Emily Dickinson. In the poem, “Hope” is metaphorically transformed into a strong-willed bird that lives within the human soul—and sings its song no matter what.

Soar | English Flashcard for Soar - LELB Society

Essentially, the poem seeks to remind readers of the power of hope and how little it requires of people. The speaker makes it clear that hope has been helpful in times of difficulty and has never asked for anything in return. “Hope is the Thing with Feathers” is one of a number of poems by Dickinson that breathes new life into an abstract concept by using surprising imagery and figurative language.

Source: LitCharts

Farhang Hooshmand
      Participant

How beatifully Emily Dickinson described the power of hope. How it never stops to inspire us and encourges us to step forward and never quit struggling even in hardest, coldest and harshest moments of life. It keeps us warm. It FIlls our hearts and souls with joy and expectation of better and more promising future.

Well-written and so meaningful!
        Feedback
        * encourages
        * It FIlls = It fills
        * a better and more promising future

PARNIAN HUSH
      Participant

Emily Dickinson was such a wonderful person; In the time which only men were supposed to go to university, study and work; So there were no place for a woman but house work, she studied, read, and became a writer, a good one! I really enjoy reading her poems so that I can see how does a person with an open mind which is much further than her own time works. And this poem was really fascinating. Describing hope as a bird which warms our hearts in every situation without expecting anything back.

Feedback
        * in the time which = in / during the time when / in which
        * there were no place = there were no places
        * house work = housework
        * I can see how does a person = I can see how a person does …
        * And this poem was really fascinating. Describing = And this poem was really fascinating, describing …

Soroosh Houshmand
      Participant

What an beautiful poem it’s really great to see that some of people are really talented and good at righting poems. This poem was wonderful like this part I’ve heard it in the chillest land –
      And on the strangest Sea –
      Yet – never – in Extremity,
      It asked a crumb – of me.

Feedback
        * some of people = some people
        * an beautiful poem = a beautiful poem
        * righting poems = writing poems

Such a magnificent metaphor in which hope is likened to an inspiring bird soaring in the sky! I sense that this little bird had guided the poet, Emily Dickinson, tremendously while confronted with despair and hopelessness. Those who manage to remain hopeful and optimistic in life must be great cheerleaders in their own lives.

This type of hope like a pep talk is internal motivation as opposed to external motivation or anticipation of rewards. People with a high level of emotional intelligence know how to motivate themselves and train the bird of hope to grow strong wings and get ready for the darkest and stormiest skies.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.