Soul Movie Review and Analysis in Film Criticism Forum

Last updated on December 2nd, 2023 by | Category: | 81 Views | Reading Time: 13 minutes
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Soul movie review and analysis in film criticism course forum for advanced ESL students based on the English Immersion program

Source of image: Apple TV

Soul movie review

Soul is a 2020 American animated fantasy comedy-drama film produced by Pixar Animation Studios for Walt Disney Pictures. The film was directed by Pete Docter and co-directed by Kemp Powers, who co-wrote it with Mike Jones, and produced by Dana Murray. It stars the voices of Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey, Graham Norton, Rachel House, Alice Braga, Richard Ayoade, Phylicia Rashad, Donnell Rawlings, Questlove, and Angela Bassett. The story follows Joe Gardner (Foxx), a middle school teacher and aspiring pianist who falls into a coma following an accident and seeks to reunite his separated soul and body in time for his big break as a jazz musician.

Source: Wikipedia

Soul movie trailer

If you cannot see the embedded video below, click here to watch Soul movie trailer directly.

Armaghan Houshmand
      Participant

This is an very inspiring animation, which I first watched when it came out back in 2020 and rewatched it.
      I liked this aspect that a spark isn’t the purpose of life but the enthusiasm to live. Simply noticing and enjoying the tiniest, simplest details of life, like when these got 22’s attention and filled her last spot.

Thank you for your comment.
        an very inspiring animation = a very inspiring animation

I agree with you on the inspiring message of Soul. Nevertheless, I couldn’t approve of the form through which the message was conveyed. I personally found it too whimsical. This weird type of form negatively impacted on the great message.

PARNIAN HUSH
      Participant

I think this animation was trying to tell us that you shouldn’t do something great in order to feel happy. Life is also in watching the leaves, simply walking and being in the moment and learn how to make yourself happy by the things you do every day! It is not necessary to become someone else or go somewhere special, you already have what you want. You should just find that part in yourself.

Such a philosophical comment!
        Feedback
        1. tell us that you shouldn’t = tell us that we shouldn’t
        2. and learn how to = and learning how to … (in parallel to the other gerunds)
        3. life is also in watching the leaves = this sentences appears to be ambiguous and strange perhaps due to being translated literally from Persian.

Soroosh Houshmand
      Participant

This animation was one of the best ones I’ve ever had and it was really good and awesome that I would like too watch it again. Joe Gardner was really spectfull for his life .

Thank you for your comment, Soroosh.
        Feedback
        1. What do you mean by “spectfull”?
        2. I would like to watch it (to vs. too)
        3. one of the best ones I’ve ever seen / watched

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.