ShawShank Redemption Criticism in Film Criticism Forum

Last updated on January 9th, 2023 by | Category: | 55 Views | Reading Time: 12 minutes
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Shawshank Redemption criticism in film criticism course forum for ESL students to immerse yourself in English with movies and short films

Shawshank Redemption criticism

The Shawshank Redemption is a 1994 American drama film written and directed by Frank Darabont, based on the 1982 Stephen King novella Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption. It tells the story of banker Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins), who is sentenced to life in Shawshank State Penitentiary for the murders of his wife, despite his claims of innocence. Over the following two decades, he befriends a fellow prisoner, contraband smuggler Ellis “Red” Redding (Morgan Freeman), and becomes instrumental in a money-laundering operation led by the prison warden Samuel Norton (Bob Gunton). William Sadler, Clancy Brown, Gil Bellows, and James Whitmore appear in supporting roles.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/

Shawshank Redemption trailer

Shawshank Redemption review

It is a strange comment to make about a film set inside a prison, but “The Shawshank Redemption” creates a warm hold on our feelings because it makes us a member of a family. Many movies offer us vicarious experiences and quick, superficial emotions. “Shawshank” slows down and looks. It uses the narrator’s calm, observant voice to include us in the story of men who have formed a community behind bars. It is deeper than most films; about continuity in a lifetime, based on friendship and hope.

Source: https://www.rogerebert.com/

Shawshank Redemption criticism

1. On a scale of 1 to 10, which score do you give to this film? Why?
      2. What is the most important lesson you might have taken from this inspiring movie?
      3. Some rare critics believe that the film is rather unrealistic. What’s your reaction to this criticism?
      Armaghan Houshmand
      Participant

My score to this movie is 8. This movie makes you sob and laugh, gives you hope and makes you angry at the same time. It is one those movies that can help you feel better in the hard times.
      One of the lessons that I took from this movie is to never give up , have consistency, work hard and always there is a hope.
      The answer the third question I have to say I also found the ending a bit unreal. Everything just happened too perfect and went on plan, that made me confused and laugh.
      But this didn’t decrease any joy that this movie gave me. And it’s still ranked in one of the best movies I’ve ever seen.

Despite its great message or let’s say messages about hope, desire to change, and combat against corruption and decadence, I believe The Shawshank Redemption is being overrated. This movie has been ranked highest on IMDB top movies of all time, yet I have major criticism against this film. For this reason, I rank this film 6.5 out of 10.

First and foremost, the story or scenario does NOT seem to be realistic at all. Everything is staged for actors and performers, and this is to some extent, typical of Stephen King’s writing style.
      The most important lesson I could get from this masterpiece is that we simply get used to almost everything, good or bad. That’s why the old librarian could not keep on living outside the prison, and he committed suicide by hanging himself. He was not ready to change and it was almost reasonable due to his old age. In another part of the movie, Red said that “hope is a dangerous thing”, and it proves that you cannot be hopeless and ready to change at the same time.

Farhang Hooshmand
      Participant

Really an impressive movie exhibiting the power of hope and the importance of being knowledgeable and having a kind nature toward other people.

You’re right. He was so benevolent and hopeful about the future. Besides, compared to his peers and the other inmates, he was highly educated and intellectual. That’s why he could find decent solutions to any critical situation.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.