The Truman Show Movie Review in Film Criticism Course

Last updated on August 26th, 2023 by | Category: | 58 Views | Reading Time: 13 minutes
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

The Truman Show movie review and analysis in film criticism course forum for advanced ESL students based on the English immersion program. Join LELB Society’s students and attend our film criticism class.

The Truman Show movie review

English question about watching TV for discussion with flashcards

The Truman Show is a 1998 American satirical science-fiction psychological dramedy film directed by Peter Weir, produced by Scott Rudin, Andrew Niccol, Edward S. Feldman, and Adam Schroeder, and written by Niccol. The film stars Jim Carrey as Truman Burbank, a man who grew up living an ordinary life that—unbeknown to him—takes place on a large set populated by actors for a television show about him. The supporting cast includes Laura Linney, Ed Harris, Noah Emmerich, Natascha McElhone, Holland Taylor, Paul Giamatti, and Brian Delate.

Source: Wikipedia

The Truman Show movie trailer

If you cannot see the embedded video below, click here to watch The Truman Show movie trailer directly.

The Truman Show movie summary

The Truman Show is a movie about a man who is held captive inside a world that revolves around him. Truman Burbank, the main character has been raised on a huge TV Soundstage filled with hidden cameras and actors who pretend to be his friends and family.

The effects of television on society with thorough analysis and criticism

This world is one where he is literally trapped in his own life by the surreal existence in which he has been forced to spend every day of his thirty years. Since the day he was born Truman Burbank’s life was controlled from a huge control panel in the sky; controlled by manipulation of how life should be, in a perfect world.

Stop Watching the News - English for Psychology at LELB Society with vocabulary and podcast

At the hands of such manipulators, we see how the role of media in our world persuades us into living in a way that we would otherwise not intend to. It is quite often oblivious to all of us, the effect that media has on us.

Source: SchoolWorkHelper

Soroosh Houshmand
      Participant

Truman show was one of the best films I’ved ever seen . At first of the movie when I find out that this film is not comedy I thinked that Jim carry just plays comedy films and this film well be nor good at all , but when it was the middle of the movie I was getting the point that what is happening in this movie and to Trueman and the film was getting kinda drum because he’s whole life for people was a cool show (but siliwia was the only one that helped Trueman to escape) but for himself was just lies and jokes and this was really sad. But at the end of the movie Truman finally escaped that nonsense world and everybody was happy for hem , and at this point I give this movie 10 out of 10.

Feedback
        * I’ve ever seen
        * I thinked = I thought
        * this film well be = this film will be
        * he’s whole life = his whole life
        * everybody was happy for hem = … for him

Armaghan Houshmand
      Participant

This kind of movies always make me to question my life, my actions, and the world around me. Which I don’t consider as something negative. It helps me to don’t take everything too seriously and enjoy life more; as if all of this is just a game.
      About the movie it self I have to say that I liked it very much. I am a fan of Jim Carrey and as always he gave a very nice performance.

Feedback
        * This kind of movies … = This kind of movies always makes me question
        * make someone do something = make me question
        * , which I don’t consider
        * It helps me to not take everything too seriously

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.