Change the Course of History English Conversation Forum

Last updated on December 9th, 2022 by | Category: | 40 Views | Reading Time: 14 minutes

LELB Society: A Bilingual Academy of English & Persian Forums English Conversation Questions for Adults Change the Course of History English Conversation Forum

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Suppose that you had the ability to travel into the past but without any return to the present. If you had this chance, would you take this opportunity?

If you were able to change the course of history, where would you go, and what would you strive to accomplish?

Armaghan Houshmand
      Participant

No. I would not take this chance to travel to the past without any return, certainly not.
      In answer to the second question, I think we can not change the past or the history. Because if you strive to prevent a disaster in the past, you only postpone it.

From what you said, I can conclude that historical events in the world are basically inevitable and they are bound to happen sooner or later. Well, with due respect to your idea, I think otherwise. I believe some major events in history could have altered or modified if we had had the science and technology to time travel.

However, I should admit that time travel is quite a remarkable feat as it requires an abundance of energy and access to state-of-the-art technology. On the basis of the Butterfly Effect, one minor and nominal change could yield outstandingly major changes in a nonlinear manner.

Soroosh Houshmand
      Participant

I well not do that for o%.
      Why? Because I dont like to live my family and go to the past, NEVER.

It is completely understandable that you don’t like to LEAVE (not live) your family and travel to the past. However, you should note that these questions are hypothetical and aimed at arousing challenging discussions. Otherwise, asking and answering simple and unchallenging questions would be thoroughly easy and not argumentative at all.

When you try to respond to these questions, you tend to forget that you’re learning and using English to communicate with others; and at the same time, you unconsciously brush up your newly learned vocabulary and use them to make yourself understood. As a matter of fact, these forums, if taken seriously, have a great deal of advantages.

Farhang Hooshmand
      Participant

I prefer going to future than travel to past. But if have no choice other than go past and also not the ability to go 40 years ago I prefer going back to Achaemenid Empire last king Darius III and helped him not to be conqured by Alexander the great and prevent fall of the Empire.

That’s quite admirable, I mean trying to change the history of your nation for the better! We can study the history and learn from it to a great extent, and one of the main purposes of recorded history is, in essence, learning from it.

Reflection upon history is absolutely advantageous in the sense that it opens up our eyes to facts and events so that we would not have to repeat the same mistakes or blunders in the future.

Maybe that’s why we have this proverb in English that reads, history repeats itself, and in my idea, it means that unfortunately people do not pay enough attention to historical facts and events, and as a result, sometimes they have to experience the same failures.

Farhang Hooshmand
      Participant

1. But if I have no choice
      2. Defeated by

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.