Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day By Shakespeare

Last updated on October 7th, 2023 by | Category: | 71 Views | Reading Time: 15 minutes
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day or Sonnet 18 by William Shakespeare to enjoy learning English with literature for advanced ESL learners.

Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s day

Dalliance meaning in rea context with synonyms

Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?
      Thou art more lovely and more temperate.
      Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
      And summer’s lease hath all too short a date.
      Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
      And often is his gold complexion dimmed;
      And every fair from fair sometime declines,
      By chance, or nature’s changing course, untrimmed;
      But thy eternal summer shall not fade,
      Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow’st,
      Nor shall death brag thou wand’rest in his shade,
      When in eternal lines to Time thou grow’st.
      So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
      So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

— By William Shakespeare

Podcast of Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day

If you cannot see the embedded video below, click here to watch the podcast of Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day by William Shakespeare directly.

Analysis of Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day

Beloved - English Flashcard for Beloved - LELB Society

Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day? by William Shakespeare attempts to justify the speaker’s beloved’s beauty by comparing it to a summer’s day, and comes to the conclusion that his beloved is better after listing some of the summer’s negative qualities. While summer is short and occasionally too hot, his beloved has a beauty that is everlasting, and that will never be uncomfortable to gaze upon. This also riffs – as Sonnet 130 does – on the romantic poetry of the age, the attempt to compare a beloved to something greater than them.

Source: Poem Analysis

PARNIAN HUSH
      Participant

Such a romantic poem. I really liked it. He describes his beloved one as a person who is always beautiful and never dies. He was right; We still read his poems and his love is still alive.

Farhang Hooshmand
      Participant

This very nice way of expressing one,’s own belief and feelings about a beloved person is only in the hands and capabilities of a famous poet and writer -William Shekspear. This ability is a gift given to on cc a limited number of people .

Soroosh Houshmand
      Participant

This poem are really nice and great and I think you should be talented to
      rote something like this. This poems by William Shakespeare are really getting me to think that I’m stupid.

What a weird analogy you’ve drawn between yourself and William Shakespeare!
        Feedback
        * this poem is
        * be talented to rote = be talented to write
        * this poem by William Shakespeare is …

Armaghan Houshmand
      Participant

Although it was a complex poem and full of difficult and obsolete words, still I enjoyed it.
      Such a gifted writer and poet Shakespeare was!

Although romantic poems are not my favorite, I somehow like this one, which is apparently one of the most famous sonnets by William Shakespeare. The poet’s love is recorded in his verses eternally or forever, but the question is whether or not the readers of this poem can truly recognize and appreciate the poet’s beloved’s beauty reflected in this sonnet. I admit I’m being too critical, yet I believe only the poet himself can genuinely understand and admire the beauty of his beloved as, in fact, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.