Good Will Hunting Movie Review in Film Criticism Course

Last updated on November 25th, 2023 by | Category: | 79 Views | Reading Time: 11 minutes
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Good Will Hunting movie review and analysis in film criticism course forum for advanced ESL students based on the English Immersion Program.

Source of image: IMDb

Good Will Hunting review

Good Will Hunting is a 1997 American psychological drama film directed by Gus Van Sant, and written by Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. It stars Robin Williams, Damon, Affleck, Stellan Skarsgård and Minnie Driver.

The film received positive reviews from critics and grossed over $225 million during its theatrical run against a $10 million budget. At the 70th Academy Awards, it received nominations in nine categories, including Best Picture and Best Director, and won in two: Best Supporting Actor for Williams and Best Original Screenplay for Affleck and Damon. In 2014, it was ranked at number 53 in The Hollywood Reporter’s “100 Favorite Films” list.

Source: Wikipedia

Good Will Hunting trailer

If you cannot see the embedded video below, click here to watch Good Will Hunting trailer directly.

Armaghan Houshmand
      Participant

The theme of this movie was child abuse and traumas of the past which Will was dealing with. Although he was a genuis, he still got lots of mental issues. When he met Robin Williams he slowly faced his past.
      It was a nice movie with many lessons and quotes, but it wasn’t my favorite.

Many thanks for your comment.
        Robin Williams was one of the rarest people who could truly understand Will mainly because he was also traumatized. A wrong sense of guilt rooted in his childhood was preventing him from following his passions in life. He definitely had a high level of IQ, but his EQ was not high enough to manage his life crises.

Soroosh Houshmand
      Participant

This film was not bad . I actually don’t like this kind of films but I kinda remember that my mom see this film some few years ago. But I don’t believe that In 2014, it was ranked at number 53 in The Hollywood Reporter’s “100 Favorite Films” list but I don’t like it.

Thanks for your comment, Soroosh. In the upcoming class, we will discuss why you don’t like this film in spite of its great popularity.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.