Psycho Movie Summary and Analysis in Film Criticism

Last updated on August 12th, 2023 by | Category: | 129 Views | Reading Time: 17 minutes
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Psycho movie summary and analysis in film criticism course forum for advanced ESL students based on the English immersion program. Join LELB Society’s students, and watch and analyze great English movies in our film criticism course.

Psycho movie summary

Horror - English Flashcard for Horror

Psycho is a 1960 American horror film produced and directed by Alfred Hitchcock. The screenplay, written by Joseph Stefano, was based on the 1959 novel of the same name by Robert Bloch. The film stars Anthony Perkins, Janet Leigh, Vera Miles, John Gavin and Martin Balsam.

Psychopath 601 Words You Need to Know at LELB Society

The plot centers on an encounter between on-the-run embezzler Marion Crane (Leigh) and shy motel proprietor Norman Bates (Perkins) and its aftermath, in which a private investigator (Balsam), Marion’s lover Sam Loomis (Gavin), and her sister Lila (Miles) investigate her disappearance.

Source: Wikipedia

Psycho movie trailer

If you cannot see the embedded video below, click here to watch Psycho movie trailer directly.

Psycho movie analysis

“Psycho” remains a demanding and disturbing movie; it conveys the thrill felt by a murderer as well as his torment. It’s ultimately an existential conundrum that blames nature itself as the source of deadly madness, and even the scene that Kael called “arguably—Hitchcock’s worst scene,” the psychiatrist’s explanation at the end—has a profound place in the schema: the doctor can diagnose and explain a phenomenon that he’s seemingly powerless to foresee or cure. There’s no redemptive ending, no love story that conquers all, no promise that such ills won’t be repeated.

Source: The New Yorker

Psycho is one of the most mysterious and thrilling movies I’ve ever watched. The film which is based on a novel is psychologically grounded on some issues, such as dissociative identity disorder, Oedipus Complex in Freudian Psychology, and others.

Reprogram Your Subconscious Mind at LELB Society - English for Psychology with podcast, selected text and flashcards

The first time I watched Psycho, I thought Marion was the main character or protagonist. Then to my astonishment, she was murdered by the motel owner. Afterwards, I thought the private investigator could solve the puzzle. Then again, I was taken by surprise when he, too, got killed by Norman Bates, the motel owner.

Homicide | English Flashcard for Homicide - LELB Society

What’s more, I had no idea Marion’s sister would be the one who could unravel the mystery, which indeed was the climax of the story and concealed to me till the last moment.

Psychotherapy English Flashcard LELB Society

To truly understand the sophisticated plot of the story, you need to watch it at least three times as recommended by renowned films critics. Yet, when well-understood, you could realize how dangerous and life-threatening a psychopath can be to other people.

Armaghan Houshmand
      Participant

I truly enjoyed this movie. It was filled with thrillers and conundrums. The famous shower scene gave me goosebumps. The genius of the director, the writers, and the rest of the crew members was completely evident in the whole movie.

Such a perfect comment, with advanced vocabulary! Thank you so much. This is a great chance for you to use recently learned vocabulary in your writings.

Soroosh Houshmand
      Participant

Psycho is one of the best horror movie that I have ever seen. And the ting I am interested in is that it made in 1960 but it was so scary that , for example that part that the mother of Norman baets attack Marin and killed her that part completely maked me shocked and the 60% was just for the scary song and the another 40% was for the quick attack that was Been made so scary and nice . But I didn’t like the subject of the film . But it doesn’t matter because normally scary movies doesn’t have a subject or important subject, so I give it 7 out of 10.

Farhang Hooshmand
      Participant

A really complicated psychological problem reflecting very brriliantly in a movie directed by Alfred Hitchcock, who believed as one of the most influential figures in the history of cinema. As critics believe, I think it needs more than one time to watch the movie to understand its complicacy. I was not only deeply affected by the horror exhibiting in its scenes and sophisticated plot hidden in all parts of the movie but also profoundly scared of potential psychopaths who already have haunted anonymously like ghosts in the society.

* brilliantly
        * Alfred Hitchcock who is believed as …
        * horror exhibited in its scenes
        * haunt as an intransitive verb requires an object.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.