Still Alice Movie Summary & Analysis Film Criticism

Last updated on February 20th, 2023 by | Category: | 64 Views | Reading Time: 12 minutes
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Still Alice movie summary and analysis in film criticism course forum for advanced ESL students to enjoy learning English with great movies. Watch this English movie and criticize it in our film criticism course forum in an interactive manner. Share your opinions and receive feedback in return.

Still Alice movie summary

Dr. Alice Howland (Julianne Moore) is a renowned linguistics professor at Columbia University. When words begin to escape her and she starts becoming lost on her daily jogs, Alice must come face-to-face with a devastating diagnosis: early-onset Alzheimer’s disease. As the once-vibrant woman struggles to hang on to her sense of self for as long as possible, Alice’s three grown children must watch helplessly as their mother disappears more and more with each passing day.

Source: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/

Still Alice movie trailer

If you cannot see the embedded video below, click here to watch Still Alice movie trailer directly.

Still Alice movie analysis

Alice, who has always been a take-charge person, realizes that she is now in a battle with a debilitating disease that will only get worse as time goes on. She tells John that it feels like her brain is dying, and she laments that the work she’s loved is now gone for her. Still, she valiantly decides to make the most of the years she has left. The diagnosis hits the children hard since Alice’s particular form of the disease has a strong genetic linkage. Alice feels large doses of guilt and shame over passing on this scary legacy to them.

Source: https://spiritualityandpractice.com/

Armaghan Houshmand
      Participant

I score this movie 8.
      It was a great movie and it acknowledged the viewers about alzheimer’s disease and how it can effect the person’s life and how would it feel like. It was sad and somehow it seemed to me unfair to suffer like that, especially when she said she wished she had cancer rather that alzheimer.
      And I found the ending interesting. When her daughter was telling her a story and then she said it was about love. I’m not sure but I guess it meant after she forgot almost everythin, love was the thing she could remember.

Soroosh Houshmand
      Participant

I give it 9.5 it was a very sad and good story I learned a lot of it

Still Alice is a marvelous movie about health, particularly mental health, which we’re not normally conscious of until it goes away. I agree with Alice about the Alzheimer’s Disease being worse than cancer because in this neurologically degenerative disease, you’ll lose your own identity. What could be worse than that when I don’t remember myself!
      I automatically made a comparison between Alice, who was NOT Still Alice, in my opinion, and Stephen Hawking, the popular physicist who theorized about many concepts while he was paralyzed. He could not even move his neck, but he was Still Hawking!
      Alice was so unfortunate because she was leading a healthy lifestyle. She was sleeping around 7 hours per day, did physical exercise, had a supportive family, and was highly educated. But all of a sudden, she was diagnosed with this disease that was hereditary.

Farhang Hooshmand
      Participant

I think it is a great movie. It is a really touching movie that can change viewer insight toward life. How everything can change suddenly and unexpectedly. How the universe can be so cruel toward a decent intelligent studious knowledgable person. I coludent stop my tear and feeling of deep sadness at the end of the movie when she could remember only the word and feeling of love..

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.