The Croods Movie Review in Film Criticism Course Forum

Last updated on July 20th, 2023 by | Category: | 63 Views | Reading Time: 12 minutes
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

The Croods movie review and analysis in film criticism course forum for advanced ESL students based on English immersion program. Join LELB Society’s students and members, and participate in our film criticism course every week.

The Croods movie review

That’s the idea behind “The Croods,” the sweet, animated film about a prehistoric cave family. Familiar family dynamics are amusingly exaggerated in the Paleolithic setting, where the most basic necessities require everyone’s full-time attention. The heavy-boned characters designed by the brilliantly witty Carter Goodrich (“Despicable Me,” “Hotel Transylvania”) may argue, but they demonstrate the strength of their bond on their hunting/gathering expeditions.

Source: Roger Ebert

The Croods movie trailer

If you cannot see the embedded video below, click here to watch The Croods movie trailer directly.

The Croods movie analysis

The Croods is a 2013 American computer-animated adventure comedy film produced by DreamWorks Animation and distributed by 20th Century Fox. The film was written and directed by Kirk DeMicco and Chris Sanders, and stars the voices of Nicolas Cage, Emma Stone, Ryan Reynolds, Catherine Keener, Clark Duke, and Cloris Leachman. The film is set in a historically inaccurate prehistoric Pliocene era known as “The Croodaceous” (a prehistoric period which contains fictional creatures) when Grug, patriarch of the Croods, is threatened by the arrival of a genius named Guy, who comes up with revolutionary new inventions as they trek through a dangerous but exotic land in search of a new home.

Source: Wikipedia

Armaghan Houshmand
      Participant

As a child watching this animation in 2013, I just found it funny and entertaining. But as a grown and more experienced person, I found more points and messages through this story. Messages about comfort zone and fear of the unknown. By hiding we don’t get anything new in our lives and we should go out and have the courage to face new things. Being yourself is also another theme of this fine cartoon.

PARNIAN HUSH
      Participant

This animation shows us that parents should care of their children but not limiting them from experiencing new things. If we don’t try different things how is it possible to find our own way of living, the way that works for us? Taking care of our children doesn’t mean not to allow them from following a way just because it is an unknown or didn’t work for ourselves. Each person has his own path and that’s what makes it beautiful.

For nearly a decade, I’ve always wanted to critique The Croods produced back in 2013. The intended message is so profound and useful. I found some lessons and messages that are like great quotes to me. For example, “follow the light”, “change the rules that keep you in the cave / dark”, and some others.

We are taught that we should tackle our irrational fears or phobias that block our progress or happiness in life. Also as Eep put it, surviving and living are not interchangeable as some people who are overwhelmed by fear simply try not to die, while they are fooled that they are alive.

In addition, curiosity is a valuable trait that should be practiced, and irrational fear is its enemy. For this reason, everything new is NOT necessarily bad as misunderstood by Eep’s father. His conservative personality made him repeat the same story over and over again, spoiling the household’s mood every night.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.