The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost – Best English Poems

Last updated on August 20th, 2023 by | Category: | 105 Views | Reading Time: 13 minutes

LELB Society: A Bilingual Academy of English & Persian Forums Best Poems for ESL Students Forum for Discussion The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost – Best English Poems

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost analysis in best English poems for ESL students forum. Enjoy English literature and learn English vocabulary in real context based on the English immersion program.

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

Trek - English Flashcard for trek - LELB Society

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
      And sorry I could not travel both
      And be one traveler, long I stood
      And looked down one as far as I could
      To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Wayfarer meaning in context with synonyms

Then took the other, as just as fair,
      And having perhaps the better claim,
      Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
      Though as for that the passing there
      Had worn them really about the same,

Traverse meaning in real context

And both that morning equally lay
      In leaves no step had trodden black.
      Oh, I kept the first for another day!
      Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
      I doubted if I should ever come back.

Safari meaning in real context with images

I shall be telling this with a sigh
      Somewhere ages and ages hence:
      Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
      I took the one less traveled by,
      And that has made all the difference.

— By Robert Frost

Podcast of The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

If you cannot see the embedded video below, click here to watch the video of The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost directly.

Analysis of The Road Not Taken

Written in 1915 in England, “The Road Not Taken” is one of Robert Frost’s—and the world’s—most well-known poems. Although commonly interpreted as a celebration of rugged individualism, the poem actually contains multiple different meanings. The speaker in the poem, faced with a choice between two roads, takes the road “less traveled,” a decision which he or she supposes “made all the difference.” However, Frost creates enough subtle ambiguity in the poem that it’s unclear whether the speaker’s judgment should be taken at face value, and therefore, whether the poem is about the speaker making a simple but impactful choice, or about how the speaker interprets a choice whose impact is unclear.

Sour: LitCharts

Thank you for this meaningful poem. I make some points about this poem:
      Looking for the best is the reason for being challenged and moving forward.
      The background color of your life does not change everywhere in the world of your mind.
      That color is related just to you, not to your place or one time.
      It is only up to you to change it to a happy or sad color.

Armaghan Houshmand
      Participant

To me, there is no such thing as the best path or the right path. I assume, that every single direction and action leads us to the next and it’s up to us what to get from it. With this point of view, we can leave the regret and remorse behind.

Soroosh Houshmand
      Participant

The one question that I have is that how Robert frost making so interesting poems like this his really talented. And it is just so hard to find out that what is the point of this poem.

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost refers to dilemmas in life and the challenge of decision making, which sometimes tends to be extremely mind-twisting. However, our decisions, sound or rash, mature or immature, give us our identity. It’s natural that, from time to time, we might cast doubt on our former decisions, yet we cannot question the person who has made all those decisions.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.