Ex Machina Movie Analysis in Film Criticism Course

Last updated on December 23rd, 2023 by | Category: | 132 Views | Reading Time: 16 minutes
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Ex Machina movie analysis and review in film criticism course for advanced ESL students based on the English Immersion Program

Source of image: IMDb

Ex Machina movie analysis

The magazine New Scientist in a multi-page review said, “Ex Machina movie is a rare thing to see a movie about science that takes no prisoners intellectually. Ex Machina movie is a stylish, spare and cerebral psycho-techno thriller, which gives a much needed shot in the arm for smart science fiction”.

Her movie review and analysis in Film Criticism Course Forum for advanced ESL learners

The review suggested that the theme was whether “Ava makes a conscious person feel that the Ava is conscious”. Daniel Dennett thought the film gives the best exploration yet of whether a computer could generate the morally relevant powers of a person, and thus having a similar theme to Her. An AI commentator, Azeem, has noted that although the film seemed to be about a robot who wanted to be human, it was actually a pessimistic story along the lines of Nick Bostrom’s warning of how difficult it will be to successfully control a strategizing artificial intelligence or know what it would do if free.

Source: Wikipedia

Ex Machina movie trailer

If you cannot see the embedded video below, click here to watch Ex Machina movie trailer directly.

PARNIAN HUSH
      Participant

I really enjoyed watching this movie, it didn’t bored me at all. I was hoping Ava is actually in love with Caleb and save Kyoko as well but Nathan was right about her. I didn’t mind about what happened to Nathan but I really felt pity for Caleb.

Thank you, Parnian. Such a concise and inclusive comment!
        Feedback
        1. it didn’t bored me = it didn’t bore me
        2. I didn’t mind about what = I didn’t mind what …
        3. Ava is actually = Ava was actually

Soroosh Houshmand
      Participant

This was really good but the bed thing is that the ending of this film was pretty shocking and I didn’t like the ending at all. Ava was really selfish at the end of the movie. She was just using Calep to run away and go out. I don’t believe that that Nathan was right about Ava.but I don’t get that why Caleb damaged himself with that sharp little knife. At least I wanted to get this film an 8.5 out of 10 but because of the bad ending I get 3 out of 10. But maybe I’m wrong because everything should not have a good ending.

Farhang Hooshmand
      Participant

This movie made me to think of artificial intelligence (AI) and its potential consequences for humanity. How we can get the best and most beneficial effects from AI without causing any harm to humanity. It is really a matter of much debates and I hope AI will not result in catastrophic events.

Thank you, Dr. Hooshmand, for criticizing the film, Ex Machina.
        Feedback
        1. made me to think = made me think
        2. You should know the difference between “think of” and “think about”. For this context, the latter is more accurate.
        3. a matter of much debate

Armaghan Houshmand
      Participant

Well this movie really got mee thinking.
      Through the movie I kept thinking how can it be possible that an AL have feelings? Like to have a crush on sb.
      Spoiler Alert:
      And the movie got me. I really believed that Ava liked Caleb and there were going to escape together. But it tured out No. She was just using Caleb and his feelings to get out of there. And maybe she saw him as a threat to her secret ( being a robot ), so she decided to leave him trapped. That means she didn’t have any sense of sympathy.
      But she confessed that she hated Nathan to himself. Was that also a part of her escape plan or she really had feelings? That is the thing I am not sure about.

Thank you, Armaghan, for leaving such a long comment and criticism on Ex Machina!
        Feedback
        1. AL = AI (artificial intelligence)
        2. thinking how can it be possible = thinking how it can be possible
        3. an AL have feelings = an AI has feelings
        4. it tured out = it turned out

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.