The Peacock and the Crane by Aesop for ESL students with a podcast, vocabulary practice in real context and Persian version
The Peacock and the Crane is now in the public domain available on Gutenberg Project.
Podcast of the Peacock and the Crane
The Peacock and the Crane
A peacock taunted a crane with the dullness of her plumage.
- taunt: ridicule, mock, tease, criticize
- crane: a bird with a long neck and legs that lives on plains
- plumage: feathers of birds
- dull: lacking vividness or brightness of color or hue
“I am not denying,” replied the crane, “that yours are far gayer than mine; but when it comes to flying, I can soar into the clouds, whereas you are confined to the earth like any cock that cannot fly.”
- gayer: brighter, more colorful
- whereas: however, although
- confined: restricted, limited, restrained