- 1100 Words You Need to Know – Week 5, Day 1
- English Vocabulary Class
- Date of Class: May 15th, 2016, from 9:00 to 10:00 pm (Iran)
- Use the audio player below to listen to the podcast of this vocabulary class which is based on the text below.
During my first weeks at the new school I observed that cheating was rampant. I had always considered it rather inane to cheat on a test because of my code of ethics, and because so much was at stake. Apparently the other students didn’t concur. In fact, even the presence of a proctor did not intimidate* them. Far from being a clandestine activity, the cheating was open and obvious.
Use the new words in the following sentences.
- When the plague was __________ on the island, Dr. Arrowsmith’s wife died.
- The spies thought their meeting was a __________ one, but a throng* of F.B.I. agents gathered outside the building.
- A special management committee was asked to investigate business __________.
- Orville Wright was criticized for his __________ desire to fly.
- If I can get my parents to __________, I’ll join the Peace Corps.
Match the new words with their meanings.
- rampant ____ a. secret, undercover
- inane ____ b. code of principles
- ethics ____ c. foolish
- concur ____ d. agree
- clandestine ____ e. going unchecked, widespread
stock in trade: the goods, tools, and other requisites of a profession